From: eric.delong@pmsi-services.com
[mailto:eric.delong@pmsi-services.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 07, 2000 2:41 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: Re[4]: The relevance of COMMON (was Penton to buy Duke -

     I'm not really saying I'm frustrated with COMMON, exactly. Common
     *could* be a bit more affordable, but that's not the point. It's
     mostly frustration at TPTB who dangle the "training budget" in
     front of my nose as an incentive, only to use that money in other
     ways. In 15 years in midrange, I've had EXACTLY 1 day (6-7 hours)
     of training (in house no less) for a product I was already familiar
     with (I did learn some things, though). Everything else I've ever
     learned has been via manuals, books, Synon generated code (YUK!
     That's where I first learned subfiles.... S36 to AS400 shop, no one
     else had any idea how to do them), trial and error, and most
     recently this list and online resources.

     Don't misunderstand, I feel that the grunt work has paid off over
     the years. I learn best from my own mistakes, and I've made plenty
     over the years, but I can't help feeling that much of the grief and
     confusion could have been reduced or avoided completely with a bit
     of training and source materials.

     Recap: Training *should* be a benefit, to myself and my employer.
     It *should not* be the golden carrot that's continually just out of
     reach. That's the frustration.

     eric.delong@pmsi-services.com