  • Subject: RE: The relevance of COMMON
  • From: Joe Teff <JoeTeff@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 19:31:38 -0500

On Friday, September 01, 2000 4:20 PM, Bruce Collins
[SMTP:bacollins@twitchellcorp.com] wrote:
> How many COMMON conferences have you attended?

Several in the last 15 years

>Have you volunteered to help COMMON?

In several roles including the requirements committee a few times.

> If you do not take an active part in the organization then please do
> not criticize it. This list is wonderful and if you did attend COMMON you
> could put faces to some of the names on this list. COMMON is where you can
> meet people, talk to the developers and build friendships. You can go and
> talk to vendors on the exhibit floor and get ideas of how the hardware or
> software could enhance your company and your skills. The have many hands on
> labs and sessions with excellent speakers. You get out of it what you put in
> it.   IMHO

It used to be worth my time and effort. I no longer think so. As I was paying
about half and my employer the rest, I just didn't feel it was worth it.

Besides, I don't really think they want volunteers anymore. I used to be
a real advocate of COMMON. Now, I don't really care. What anybody else
thinks about COMMON is up to them. I have my own opinion and I'm sticking
with it.

> P.S. David is a champ for hosting this list and it does cost him money to
> run it. I you would like to send him gold bullion I do not think he would
> turn it down.

I send him check for $25 about every three months. I wish it were more, but
that's coming out of my pocket.