  • Subject: COMMON (was Re: "State of the Midrange" by Don Rima)
  • From: DAsmussen@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2000 01:23:09 EDT

Janet,

In a message dated 8/22/00 2:10:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
jkrueger@andrewscg.com writes:

> News/400 is hosting a discussion with most of the candidates for the Board
of
>  Directors of COMMON, but so far we're over there talking to each other...
>  sure hope that doesn't mean noone else cares!!!
>
>  If you're have opinions to express on whether COMMON should continue to
exist,
>  or on what would make it more valuable to you, please join the COMMON town
> hall e-meeting on:
>
>  http://www.as400network.com/forums/Main.cfm?CFApp=70

I hate to say it, but I think that COMMON may have finally killed itself.
People (like myself) that care about it have promoted it despite its
problems, yet the organization not only does not fix the problems, but
introduces new ones at each successive conference.  The paid board that was
supposed to fix it only made matters worse by alienating the volunteer
community, while the volunteer community that once signified COMMON degraded
into bureaucratic "one upmanship" that further alienated those that attended
and didn't volunteer.  Fees go up, services go down.  Hotel rates go up,
facilities go down.  Spring conferences are held before Spring in cold
places, while Fall conferences take place before Fall in hot places.
COMMON-sponsored airfare is through the roof, while airfare elsewhere is
relatively inexpensive.  The housing authority has become both redundant and
equally expensive compared to other COMMON-provided offerings.  The guest
program is effectively gone, while problems with room size, temperature, and
handouts remain the same.

COMMON has countered the higher fees for attending a conference with higher
membership fees for lower membership privileges.  Byte me.  While I still
know of no single source for such diverse education as COMMON provides, I
also know of no single source for such petty infighting, fee raising, and
downsizing of services provided.  I was ridiculed here years ago when I
implied that the elimination of free drinks at CUDS was but the shape of
things to come, but who's laughing now?  Certainly not me.  I was concerned
that the overall quality of education would drop and I have, unfortunately,
had my concerns proven valid.  Even IBM has dropped their priority for
bringing all of their high level personnel to conferences.

If COMMON wants to bring folks like me "back into the fold", they're going to
have to attack on two fronts.  First, "corporate COMMON" is going to have to
realize that sheer profits are not going to pay the bills in the long run.
They're also going to have to realize and recognize that the TRUE volunteers,
those not seeking personal aggrandizement, are the heart of the organization.

On the second front, COMMON must return to its roots -- restore the guest
program, provide true value in hotels and travel rather than subsidize
activities with them, and regain its place as the true voice of the midrange
community.  I never cease to be amazed at the number of midrange
professionals that don't even know what COMMON does!  COMMON is not going to
gain any favor in an Internet-savvy community such as is found here without
increasing their Internet presence.  They're further not going to _GAIN_ many
more memberships without bringing more midrange professionals that cannot
find this list with both hands into the Internet community.

COMMON deserves to survive, but only if COMMON does something _TO_ survive...

JMHO,

Dean Asmussen
Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA
E-mail:  DAsmussen@aol.com

"The greatest joy in life is doing what others say you cannot do." -- Walter
Bagehot