  • Subject: Re: "State of the Midrange" by Don Rima
  • From: "David Keck" <dkeck@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:36:26 -0700

Personally, I don't see what the big deal is over the possible rename to
I500 or whatever.  Before it's done, if it is done, IBM will gather up
rights to any names it wants to use.  A rose by any other name ... And a
rename is not the same as the Coke debacle, where the product itself was
actually pulled from the marketplace.  Besides, if they (current IBM senior
management) change the name (put their fingerprint on it) they may take some
pride in ownership and start hawking it.  Who knows.  ..... And what would
it take, could it be profitable for IBM to release OS/400 for PC's ... with
the software priced reasonably ?  Could OS/400 for PC's be made available
for free, like Linux (but not open source), making it infinitely more
interesting and accessible, thereby selling more high end hardware to
support mid and large size companies who need the five 9's.
-Dave K