David and Paudie:

...Things that fill a journal ...

I like the "analyze an outfile" approach.

Don't record opens and closes unless you need them.

Don't record both before and after entries unless you are using commitment
control or have another good reason to do so.

Don't journal every file on your machine.  Select the libraries or tables
that are journaled.  I wouldn't bother recording changes to a developers
test library.

Check your SMAPP setting.  Use the EDTRCYAP command.  SMAPP is "system
managed access path protection".  This is the feature that automatically
journals access paths for large indexes.  If the machine crashes, SMAPP is
trying to make sure that you don't have to rebuild all of your large access
paths - this protects you from multiple-day recoveries.  If a physical file
is journaled, the SMAPP entries will go into the same journal.  If a
physical file is not journaled, the system creates a journal and puts both
the physical and logical changes in there (this isn't perfectly correct but
close enough).  Okay, your journals could be growing rapidly because your
have one or more large files that are heavily updated (inserts, updates, or
deletes) and the stuff in your receivers is SMAPP data - access paths
automatically journaled by the machine.  There are parameters to control how
the SMAPP data is managed in user journals.  Look at the CHGJRN command or
WRKJRNA.

There are journal receiver size thresholds.  If yours are set to small
values, you could be changing receivers three times per day.  In my
experience, until you are changing receivers several times per minute you
don't have too much to worry about.  Of course, this depends on your machine
size.  Big machines can handle more journaling than smaller systems.

...DataMirror uses a lot of capacity ...

Journaling can be inconvenient if your machine isn't configured for it.

I have spent some quality time looking at Visions Solutions OMS and ODS and
at Lakeview Mimix and its audit reader process.  Someday, I would like to
spend time with each of them working to optimize their code.  Oh well.

I haven't taken the same opportunity to look at DataMirror but I have a
patent in this area and, several years ago, DataMirror spent a lot of time
trying to convince me to recommend their product to my customers.  The
original concept behind DataMirror was "like the other mirroring products
but with the addition of field and record manipulation functions" - in other
words, a high-function mirroring product.  If you have some of that function
turned on, DataMirror will stop being a high-speed-low-drag mirroring
application like OMS and Mimix and it will use more CPU cycles.

All the AS/400 mirroring products exist because the AS/400 does not support
the concept of shared DASD.  Changes have to be copied to another machine
and applied to a copy of the database.  If DataMirror is using a lot of
cycles, it could be encountering a lot of database changes.  Look to your
batch update jobs.  They usually perform far more updates than interactive.
When you are using the outfile technique that David Shaw suggested, look at
the job name that is creating most of those changes.  It could be that one
batch job is carelessly updating a huge file and filling your journals.

That's all I have time for right now.  I hope that this helps.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
www.richardjacksonltd.com
Voice: 1 (303) 808-8058