  • Subject: FW: Speech Recognition for Coding
  • From: "Shaw, David" <dshaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:16:52 -0400

Bob,

I've been "enjoying" tendonitis off and on since 1993.  It's come and gone
several times, depending on how much I've abused my right hand versus
exercise and anti-inflammatories.  There are several wrist
stretching/strengthening exercises which are frequently taught in martial
arts such as Aikido (and other jiu jitsu styles and derivatives) which have
helped me a lot.  On the other hand (pun not intentional ;), some of my
son's computer games have been real killers (left hand's a handicap, so I
use the right too much - stupid of me, really).

I haven't taught myself to use the left hand with the Trackpoint thing in
this ThinkPad, so I think that's becoming a problem.  Right at the moment I
have a problem with one of my feet, so I'm taking anti-inflammatories and
they're masking the symptoms, but I think the wrist is getting worse again.
Time to make some changes...

BTW, as for fixing carpal tunnel, the fixes are frequently not 100%.  My
sister-in-law, a florist, developed full-blown carpal tunnel in both wrists.
Surgery eliminated the pain, but nothing is ever going to give her back her
strength of grip, or enable her to go back to creating floral arrangements
herself.  She just can't use the clippers.

Dave Shaw
Spartan International, Inc.
Spartanburg, SC