  • Subject: Re: Media Definition? What the heck is that?
  • From: Peterhocsr@xxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 13:16:38 EDT

Media Definition is an API.  IBM wrote it for BRMS in Israel.  It allows one
to save 1 big library to multiple tape drives at once.  Thus you are
splitting up 1 and only 1 library to multiple tape drives at once.  The major
problem is not the save to multiple tape drives but it is the restore.  You
have to have the same number of tapes drives to do the restore.  Problem if
going to another site like a hot site.  If you do NOT have the same amount of
drives which are the EXACT kind that you saved on.  Oh boy are you going to
have fun. IBM answer to that problem.  Don't use media definition if you are
going to a hot-site.  So if you are planning to have a disaster at your site,
don't use media definition.  We support it in our tape management system, but
we HIGHLY RECOMMEND that it NOT BE USED.  There is NO documentation because
we believe IBM only wanted BRMS customers to use it.  Like the rest of BRMS,
not very user friendly.

Peter H. O'Connor