  • Subject: Re: What is an AS/400?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 14:59:51 EDT

Look at Al Barsa's post on Netscape Security problem.  Give some statistics
on the rate at which the PC world has to put up with security scares of one
kind or another ... my anti virus is protecting me against 50,000 viruses in
the wild.  I get my AV updated about once every 10 days & when I do so, I
browse the NAV support forum on what's the latest hassles ... they are
getting hundreds of posts a day from new victims, although most of the tales
of woe are from people who did not get it on the degree of self-training
needed to use these PC products & stay out of trouble.  What kind of cost
does it add to businesses running on recent state-of-art Windows world to
have to protect against this kind of nonsense?

AS/400 does not (yet) have these kind of problems (viruses & hackers)
although the bad guys are trying to figure out how to get into AS/400, they
are still thinking in Unix & PC terms, and IBM has decades of white hat
security for them to penetrate when they do understand midrange systems.

Check archives on "So if there is no Hardware specific Advertising" ... Jim
Franz had a post 7/18 am or 7/17 pm regarding major differences between
AS/400 & the competition ..

security, data base integration, backup & recovery, scalability, availability
24x7x365, staff size needed for management, 3-5 year operations cost, we do
not get illegal operations or general protection faults, the OS handles disk
space management ... it is unneccessary for MIS or end users to be doing
housekeeping tasks like scan disk or speed disk or optimize placement, and we
never lose clusters.

When we have multiple hard drives, we do not have to specify which hard drive
something is on, the addressing is continuous.  We do not have to come up
with a system for packaging the data that works for the BIOS & end up with
wasted space, because ... well explain the significance of 64 bit operating
system on 64 bit hardware.

When we get a new release of the operating system, it comes with thousands of
enhancements & for our current applications there is UPWARD COMPATIBILITY
which means that we do not have to spend big bucks & inconvenience to replace
applications that run on the old OS with the version that runs on the next
OS.  We can pick & choose which of the features of the new OS we want to use
& for those we are not using, we do not have to clutter our hard drive.

Upward Compatibility is a concept that was invented in the Midrange world
several decades ago, but it has not yet been reinvented for the PC world.
There is so much like this that we take for granted today, but is worth a
sentence or bullet in your document, with perhaps a link to a larger
definition.

Now it is true that for every thousand enhancements, we tend to lose one old
feature & sometimes some people were using that feature.

We do get some strange error messages.

MIS staff has to know what we are doing with a system that is NOT the same as
UNIX LINUX Windows DOS etc.

I asked in an earlier thread about a similar question ... facts about the
AS/400 & white papers that put these facts into a perspective that is
understandable to the non-technical person who knows squat about platforms &
languages, but understands operating cost, staffing size, down time, disaster
recovery ... and here are bookmarks to some links I gotta check out some
time, some suggested by John Carr & Janet Krueger ... I have barely scratched
this surface, but along the way found some interesting links, so some of the
bookmarks here did not come from recent MIDRANGE-L posts but rather from some
place I got to by following suggestions read here.

http://solar.rtd.utk.edu/~mtaylor/vendors.html
http://news.excite.com/news/zd/000721/13/ibm-wins-oracle
http://www.lansa.com/ - take SPOTLIGHT link to AS/400 sites powered by LANSA
http://www.ignite400.org/ - take SHOWCASE link to AS/400 sites by industry
http://www.firstcalldirect.ie - take MOTOR link
http://www.common.org
http://www.midrange.com
http://www.infoworld.com/testcenter/index_f.html
http://www.infoworld.com/news/as400.html
http://www.as400network.com/str/pdfs/
http://www.dhagroup.com
http://www.as400.ibm.com/whpapr/index.htm
http://www.as400.ibm.com/developer/porting/pubs.htm
http://www.yourdon.com/index.htm
http://ctdp.homestead.com/files/index.html

I do not remember the subject title of the thread that talked about WHY
Microsoft could not get 1200 NT servers to replicate 23 AS/400ds.  My
recollection was that it had to do with enforcing business rules across
terabytes of data.  NT servers can handle the data from a user access
perspective, they just cannot talk effectively to the other servers, from
perspective of the data being logically consistent.  AS/400ds can talk
effectively to other AS/400ds, and handle the data management cross-indexing
issues that come with terabytes of information.

But there are three issues here for your project - we need to communicate
what the AS/400 is NOT, in terms of the garbage that other computer systems
ARE, then we need to communicate what the AS/400 IS, for those topics that
are so alien to the rest of the computer world that they do not know how to
appreciate what they do not have.  And it has to be crammed into a format
that is friendly to any visitor.

Consider the format of the site
http://www.moosoft.com/tc3vsav.html

Now this outfit is claiming that the major anit-virus packages do a lousy job
of protecting against Trojans & THEY do a much better job, but hey, I still
have a major package because Trojans are only one part of a bigger picture.

However, I mention them because of the format.
Chart features that one might expect to find in most major computer systems &
what is unique about each ... include traditional hassles & how they
translate in operating cost & staffing overhead, then place some rankings.

This is a major problem, minor problem, non-existant problem for this
particular type of computer system.  This is wonderful from perspective of
software aquisition costs & end user ease of use (e.g. externally defined
universal relational data base that is accessible by so many different
languages & user tools).  Which other systems have anything comparable & if
you can get it, how much extra $$$ does it cost?

So at the high level, you have concepts like UPWARD COMPATIBILITY which
OS/400 has but Windows etc. does not have & this is in the section on good
things to have in a computer system ... and concepts like VIRUSES & HACKERS
which OS/400 does not have, but Windows etc, do have & this is in the section
on added costs of doing business using this operating system which most
businesses do not want.

Then there is a link for each ingredient or bullet in your chart to define
what is this concept of VIRUSES that OS/400 does not have, with links on the
Windows side to the cost to business to have to protect against them & links
on the OS/400 side to evidence that this is not part of the OS/400 reality,
and in each side, cross-linked so while reviewing OS/400 evidence that this
is not a reality here, can get to stories on what the cost is for dealing
with this on the kinds of computers vulnerable to them.

So I am suggesting a format that at the high level just has a list of simple
statements regarding AS/400 advantages & each one has a link to more
information, in which you might have a whole page for each of the simple
statements, filled with links to more information related to that one concept.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
MIS Manager Green Screen Programmer & Computer Janitor of BPCS 405 CD Rel-02
running on AS/400 V4R3 http://www.cen-elec.com Central Industries of
Indiana--->Quality manufacturer of wire harnesses and electrical
sub-assemblies