Joe:

You're right.  CFINT is only triggered for jobs that are performing green
screen IO - local or remote attach, telnet, or pass-through - only for 5250.
The trigger is CPU utilization.  The trigger is NOT transactions per unit
time, number of logged-on users, or number of active or attached or
configured devices.

The ODBC jobs play no part in triggering CFINT.  There will always be some
CFINT but I can run a large system to 95 percent CPU utilization with
QZDASOINIT and never have any significant showing from CFINT.

For the purpose of this explanation, assume that you need to support 100
users.  Determine the required interactive capacity using a procedure
something like this.

1. Get all of your users ready to work but waiting for a phone call from
you.
2. Have 5 users start to work.
3. Watch CFINT using WRKSYSACT.
4. If CFINT is less than 10 percent, add more users until CFINT is
consistently hitting 10 percent.
5. That number of users is about the maximum number that your system will
support.  For the sake of argument, assume that CFINT hits 10 percent with
12 users.
6. Divide the total number of users by the discovered number.  100 divided
by 12 equals 8.3.
7. Multiple your current interactive rating by 8.3.  That is a simple
prediction of the required interactive CPW.

Be careful with workload mix, month-end peaking, and the law of small
numbers.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
http://www.richardjacksonltd.com