  • Subject: Re: Web programming
  • From: "Jay Peasley" <jpeasley@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2000 13:17:37 -0400

Title: Web programming
Bonjour Pascal,

Two good books that I have read and can personally recommend are e-RPG by Brad Stone and e-Business with an As/400 by Bob Cancilla.

Brads tact is straight CGI programming with ILE-RPG (which I prefer) and Bobs tact is Net.Data. Brad's book will get you programming CGI much quicker than Bob's, but Bob's book goes into more detail regarding the whole WWW experience.

I have been experimenting with both types of venues and because I have been programming HTML and RPG for a long time I like Brad's approach. According to IBM stats straight CGI vs. Net.Data is about twice as fast.

Brad has examples at netshare400.com and Bob has examples at ignite400.org. The Net.Data forum at IBM is good also. Both individuals should be applauded in promoting web serving on the AS/400.

Personally I think AS/400 based web serving could be launched to a higher level if more individuals would share their code.

Bob Cancilla claims to be able to build web based screens at the rate of 1 per day. I feel the same for straight CGI.

I hope this helps!

Jay