  • Subject: CSI -Consolidated Servers Inc (Previously Known as RS/6000,AS/400,Netfinity, andSys/390)
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 21:50:20 -0400

Ah, I told you's guys to watch the new personal shake up at IBM,
Well here's some more news.

<SNIP>

Sources say Gerstner and Palmisano have all but signed off on a plan to
unify IBM's Netfinity,
RS/6000, AS/400, and mainframe servers under a single brand by the fourth
quarter. ""

<SNIP>

I guess those AS/400 specific ads that we will be getting next week are a
moot point now in raising customer awareness of the AS/400 name huh?

Oh, ya, and this might interest you also

<SNIP>

 In addition to rebranding the systems, IBM will
 use Linux as the lingua   Franca that ties them
 together. The company has already enabled its
 servers to run Linux apps, and it's encouraging
 independent software vendors to write programs
 in Linux so they can be more easily ported
 across systems

<SNIP>

This might have gotten your attention huh??   The complete story is at URL
below.

John Carr

http://www.informationweek.com/797/ibm.htm

Other changes may offer insight into what Gerstner thinks the company must
do
next to meet customer requirements and increase sales. Palmisano handed
leadership of the server group to Bill Zeitler, formerly general manager
and
now senior VP of enterprise systems. A major repositioning of IBM's server
lineup is in store under Zeitler's guidance. The line has been dragged down
by sluggish mainframe sales even as Web server revenue, including midrange
RS/6000s, jumped 30% in the second quarter. Sources say Gerstner and
Palmisano have all but signed off on a plan to unify IBM's Netfinity,
RS/6000, AS/400, and mainframe servers under a single brand by the fourth
quarter. The goal: reduce confusion over IBM's byzantine product lineup.