  • Subject: Re: When is it appropriate to use HTML frames?
  • From: Pete Hall <pbhall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 01 Aug 2000 19:22:35 -0500

At 00:39 08/01/2000 , you wrote:
>Frames were not part of the HTML 3.2 spec and were only introduced in 4.0,
>so how can they have been deprecated in 4.0.  Please point me to part in the
>official spec where they are deprecated.

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#version-info

This document states:

The HTML 4.01 Strict DTD includes all elements and attributes that have not
been deprecated or do not appear in frameset documents. For documents that
use this DTD, use this document type declaration:

The HTML 4.01 Transitional DTD includes everything in the strict DTD plus
deprecated elements and attributes (most of which concern visual
presentation). For documents that use this DTD, use this document type
declaration:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD

The HTML 4.01 Frameset DTD includes everything in the transitional DTD plus
frames as well. For documents that use this DTD, use this document type
declaration:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD

http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/conform.html#deprecated

This document states:

DTD fragments in element definitions come from the strict document type
definition except for the elements related to frames.

http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/alist.html

This document allows you to filter out non-strict elements:

  Unfiltered:
  FIELDSET - Form control group
  FONT - Font change
  FORM - Interactive form
  FRAME - Frame
  FRAMESET - Frameset
  H1 - Level-one heading
  H2 - Level-two heading
  H3 - Level-three heading

  Filtered:
  FIELDSET - Form control group
  FORM - Interactive form
  H1 - Level-one heading
  H2 - Level-two heading
  H3 - Level-three heading

I can't say for sure, but from the above, I must infer that frames are
deprecated.

Pete Hall
pbhall@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall