  • Subject: RE: Windows BSOD vs. AS/400
  • From: "Walden H. Leverich" <WaldenL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 10:53:00 -0400

Dave,

You make a very valid point about the "uselessness" of a machine that has no
video (WS Controller). If you recall the history of NT3.51 -> NT4.0 you'll
recall a major change that moved the video drivers from user mode (above the
MI) to kernel mode (below the MI). The result was significantly increased
performance AND significantly increased number of crashes. However, it was
decided that a machine with out a screen is useless unless it is a server
and if it is a server why were you mucking around with the video drivers?

The main design constraint on Win95/98 is compatibility. It has to support
bob's 8-bit 300 baud homemade serial card from 1977 while NT's main design
constraint is stability, if bob has such a card and wants to run NT he is
SOL. The result is that 95/98 has quite a few more BSODs then NT/2000.

I've seen many NT/2000 machines on Compaq and Dell equipment that have
uptimes of well over a year between reboots and then they are rebooted to
install software upgrades. That matched most AS/400 shops. On the other hand
I've see NT/2000 machines running on no-name clones from the local computer
store with memory from a local computer-fair that crash on a weekly basis.
Is this the fault of NT/2000??? I think not.

The 400 is a stable machine BECAUSE IBM controls the hardware. Period!

-Walden