  • Subject: Re: When is it appropriate to use HTML frames?
  • From: "Mark Beihoffer" <markbeihoffer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 16:42:05 GMT

Hi,

I'm new to the AS/400 list, but I've done some web development so I thought
I'd chime in here since I know more about HTML frames than I do about the
AS/400. ;-)

Frames are generally avoided for several reasons when building sites. They
are definitely in the HTML spec, so there isn't anything really "wrong" with
using them. Many major sites use frames, as you've noted.

The problems people have been telling you about stem from a few key issues;
mainly, when search "bots" and spiders make their way through the site, many
of them index the information found within each frame, and store that in the
search engine results. Therefore, when your site's page comes up in the
search engine, the link unfortunately pulls up the frame, and not the main
page containing the frame. This can be confusing for a lot of people,
especially
if you rely heavily on the frames for navigation.

You luckily have several options that have been developed as alternatives to
frames, that will achieve similar (if not better) results. One is to use
Cascading Style Sheets, which can give the same appearance as a frames page,
but all the information is stored on each page. Another is to use SSI
(Server Side Includes) to include the navigational bar within each of your
web pages. You can find out more about those two options at
http://www.webmonkey.com

Anyway, I summarized, and there are a couple other gotchas associated with
using frames that I can't remember right now, but it would be wise to look
at your options. Good luck!

-Mark Beihoffer
aka dragonfly_blue
http://www.dragonflydynamix.com