  • Subject: RE: Is Ops Navigator slow for others too?
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 11:49:10 -0400

>If they don't mind everyone having to reboot every 5 minutes just to do
>AS/400 work through Ops Nav, then they should not have any problems.
>Another example of them trying to Windowize their systems to get new
people
>interested in the AS/400.
>Frankly, I am glad that I don't have to "reboot" my AS/400 3 times a day

First, let me say that I have been one of the people in Sound Off at COMMON
saying that we still need CL commands to do Config and other work in a
batch mode in a CL program.
I was the one collecting CL Language improvements from you all a while
back,
and giving them to Rochester. Do you remember?
So I'm on your'alls side on that point.

However lets not confuse Windowizing and Ops Nav.   As I said in my first
post,  Java didn't exist when they first starting writing Ops Nav.  What
did? What did WE ask for? Windows. End of Story on why it's on that
platform.

Do they think it should be written in a Platform Neutral language(ie Java)
?  YES !
Are they doing that?  I think so.

HOWEVER;
What does the outside world criticize the AS/400 of being?  An Archaic
Green Screen legacy platform.  What have WE asked IBM to do?  Provide a GUI
interface to the AS/400 so we could show the other platforms that we have
evolved beyond the '70's too.

We asked for that transition. (WE) The people who are rightly embarrassed
when showing the AS/400 to someone who never seen one before.

I for one show Ops Nav first when a 20-something  young (or UPPER
MANAGEMENT, can you say PHB?) person wants to see what this AS/400 thing
is.

And I explain it this way to those Non-AS/400 people who are getting their
first impression of the box.

<Start narration>

"You know before Windows, there was DOS, right?
DOS is a command line interface to the PC, Right?
Well you can Click on the START/Programs button and still bring up a DOS
window, Right?
Some people still like using it, and it's also there for compatibility.

Well,  the AS/400 is the same way.
It has the GUI interface like Windows(See nice pretty Ops Nav?? Clicky,
Clicky )
(The People at this point are saying "Oh I see, I was wrong, it is modern")
Well the AS/400, Like Windows still let you get to a command line
interface.
See dull, character based green screen?  (They are saying then "Ya, Old
Technology")

So The MODERN AS/400 has a GUI interface Like Windows, and a command line
interface
just like DOS provides under Windows.

<End of narration>

They walk away thinking the AS/400 is a "Modern" machine.
I then go back to the green screen command line and go back to work!

I would suggest if you want to impress a Non-AS/400 person about the box,
you copy and
practice something similar to the narration above, and don't start by
showing a CMD line.

Now then,   Does Rochester have a myopic view of "Lights Out" batch CL
programs doing system type stuff(configs, subsystems, etc) ?  They Have
had.

Are they going to create any new CL Commands ?   I wouldn't put much money
down on that one.  Will they provide an alternative "Batch Program" type of
function?  I would put money down on that one.  Can you say scripting
language of some sort? API's ??

I would suggest you make your points at Sound Off. Tell them you want Ops
Nav improved,
and supported on other platforms(whatever X-windows, Linux, whatever).

Again, I'm not a proponent of Ops Nav everywhere, everytime, for Everybody.
I (like some of you) have spent 20 YEARS on a green screen, SEU based
world.
On the other hand somethings you will be seeing(DB performance graphics) in
Ops Nav just couldn't be done on a green screen.

End of Rant,
End of clarification.

Respectfully
John Carr