  • Subject: Re: Large screen monitor
  • From: Rob Dixon <rob.dixon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 01:25:33 +0100

Chuck

I am obviously not making not getting my message over very clearly so I will try
again.

Chuck Lundgren wrote:

> Stop using Win 95 or 98 and use NT or NT Workstation for cat's sakes. I
> have to reboot my NT box, maybe, once every two weeks,

I have used NT,  for 7 months continually at a client site, and it also fell
over
far too often, even if less than 95/98.  It did not convince me that I should
change - rubbish is rubbish, whatever its flavour.

> and this is a
> development machine, which tends to make it more unstable.

My As/400 is also a development machine and it does not fall over when I install
new software.

> And the reason I
> usually have to reboot is to install new software.

Why? Is there a problem with the OS or with the Wintel architecture?

> >I tihnk that IBM is just trying to be modern and politcally correct in the
> >use of
> >PCs for many tasks for which they have no obvious benefits.
>
> If you haven't used a PC editor for any length of time, I can't imagine how
> you can rate whether they have any obvious benefits.

Because SEU does all I want.  If PC editors do more than I want, this is no
benefit to me.

> Have you tried ASNA's
> Visual RPG? Have you used CODE/400 for a period longer than a couple of
> hours? FlexEdit? MultiEdit? Visual Studio?

For the moment, SEU does all I want and it never falls over.  A PC product
running under any flavour of Windows will probably fall over. Why do I need to
change? What are the benefits?  Why do I constantly need to move my source from
PC to AS/400 every time I wish to compile it when I can keep it on the AS./400
and never move it (and never lose it).

> The rest of the programing world moved on at *least* five or six years ago.

You imply that I am the only user of SEU left.  Not true.

> Why use an old claw hammer when you can work with an air nailer?

Because the air line might spring a leak or the compressor might break down and
the air nailer does nothing that the claw hammer cannot do and it is less
productive when it does work because it requires maintenance and takes 2 or 3
minutes to get up to the right operating presure.  It is called change for the
sake of change.  For me, there has to be a reason - peer pressure is not a
reason.

If I find in the future  that new language features that I wish to use are not
supported by SEU, at that point I will have to decide what to do and I might
well
write my own dumb screen based editor  - hardly rocket science.

My impression is that quite a few people on this list might even ask the price.

Can we let it rest now?  We are all entitled to our point of view.

Best wishes

Rob Dixon

Erros plc

44 (0) 1844 239 339

http://www.erros.co.uk - The AS/400 Neural Database for the Internet

begin:vcard
n:Dixon;Rob
tel;fax:44 1844 239340
tel;work:44 1844 239339
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
org:Erros plc
version:2.1
email;internet:rob.dixon@erros.co.uk
title:Chairman
adr;quoted-printable:;;Boarstall Tower=0D=0ABoarstall;;Bucks;HP18 9UX;United Kingdom
fn:Rob Dixon
end:vcard