  • Subject: RE: IBM - Get with it.
  • From: jpcarr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 21:40:08 -0400

>Cool.  BTW, InfoWorld actually has an AS/400 in their lab full time.
>
>I think it's worthwhile to do this sort of thing, and your note had the
>right tone.  It sounded like it was from a sane person.  I sometimes have
>trouble achieving that. <g>
>
>The one problem with campaigning is the danger of their recognizing your
>name if you send too many messages.  Then you're typed as "the AS/400 nut"
>and slated for summary deletion.
>Joel Fritz

Right Joel

Hence my call to arms to you folks.  If a good number of DIFFERENT people
do it will have more
impact and credibility.

Also, you are correct,  we do not want to come off sounding like a lunatic.
I always stay polite, present a logical point of view if I can, and always
sign my email  "Respectfully ....."

But really people,  when you visit different sites, (CMPNET, NEWS.COM,
Internetweek, techweb, computerworld, informationweek, Javaworld, etc)
take a second to press the "Contact us"  link if you would like to see more
coverage of the AS/400.   Chuck Lewis's post is a good example.  They will
change to meet the market.

As a matter of fact,  Slashdot has a thread right now where people are
boasting about Solaris being a great DB machine.  If you personally are
running a big data base(warehouse) you might make a post about it.

30+GB databases on Unix?
http://slashdot.org/askslashdot/00/07/16/1649217.shtml

Like I said earlier,  Read/visit the Inforworld mag site after the 31st

Sorry for taking up your time.
Respectfully
John Carr