  • Subject: Re: IBM - Thompson & Palmisano move up.
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:39:57 EDT

From Al Macintyre

A key phrase for me was News 400 saying

<< Server Group chief Sam Palmisano into a newly resurrected position of
president and chief operating officer and naming Software Group chief
(and former AS/400 chief from the early `90s) John Thompson as vice
chairman, >>

which means there is someone at the top with a comprehension of how the 400
can fit into IBM replacing less comprehensive know-how.  It looks like other
former 400 folks also moving up the hierarchy, so the initial news is good
for 400.

> From: pascal.bellerose@progisys.com (Pascal Bellerose)
>
>  I'd be interested to have your opinion on this John.
>  I have no idea who those guys are but I'm interested in how they will
affect
>  the AS400 environment.
>
>  TIA
>
>  Pascal Bellerose

I had no idea who these guys were either until I read an e-News/400 which said

IBM RESHUFFLES EXECUTIVES
http://www.as400network.com/nwn/story.cfm?ID=7935
IBM has once again reshuffled its executive ranks, moving Server
Group chief Sam Palmisano into a newly resurrected position of
president and chief operating officer and naming Software Group chief
(and former AS/400 chief from the early `90s) John Thompson as vice
chairman, both reporting directly to CEO Lou Gerstner. Bill Zeitler,
onetime head of the AS/400 Division before Tom Jarosh and currently
general manager of IBM's Enterprise Servers Group (IBM's top 1,500
hardware accounts), will step up to fill Palmisano's shoes, and
Software Group executive Steve Mills will replace Thompson. At the
same time, IBM is breaking Storage Systems into its own division to
be headed by Linda Sanford.

With the reorganization, Palmisano will handle IBM's day-to-day
operations, while Thompson will focus on major strategic initiatives
such as Linux, wireless technology, and so on. Palmisano, 48, is a
27-year IBM veteran who, prior to heading up the Server Group two
years ago, racked up experience in services, sales, and international
markets and who "has successfully grown several major businesses for
IBM," says IBM spokeswoman Carol Makovich. Thompson, 57, is a 43-year
IBMer who started as a systems engineer in Canada and moved up to
become president and CEO of IBM Canada before coming to the U.S. in
the early `90s to take on executive positions in services, AS/400
Division, Server Group, and Software Group.

The reorganization leaves a question about what it all means for IBM
and its customers. In a statement issued yesterday, Gerstner said the
shift in responsibilities brings "a new organizational approach that
will strengthen our focus on both day-to-day marketplace results and
future growth responsibilities." However, rumors have been bandied
about for several months that Gerstner, who joined IBM seven years
ago in 1993, is looking to retire, and the New York Times reported
this morning that the executive reshuffling is an effort to move
Gerstner's heir apparent, Palmisano, into a position of succession.
IBM wouldn't comment except to say that Gerstner's contract runs
through March 2002 and that succession is a matter for the board of
directors.

>  From:    jpcarr@TREDEGAR.COM (John Carr)

>  Is this good news or neutral for the AS/400 ??

>  http://www.infoworld.com/articles/hn/xml/00/07/24/000724hnibmcoo.xml

>   John Carr

Al Macintyre  ©¿©