  • Subject: Re: Opnqryf with Many Selections
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <eMail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:06:14 -0700

Richard,

comments in line:

Richard Jackson wrote:

> James:
>
> I invested 5 minutes to write that code - not a second more.  I didn't try
> to compile it and I didn't have to support it.

I can appreciate that you were only trying to make a point.

> I don't have to keep comparing at &fld3 with &fld1 and
> &fld2, I checked to see if &qryslt was blank

Oops, I missed that.  Sorry.

 I never use OPNQRYF anymore, I only use SQL or Query Manager.  I
> have become a complete dunderhead about query/400.

Well I'm a complete dunderhead about SQL, so as one dunderhead to
another can you help me out on a problem I am working on? :)

I think I'm going about it wrong by trying to replace the OPNQRYF with
SQL and leaving everything else in place.

Here's what I have:
1) a work with command that allows for subset (via OPNQRYF dynamic
QRYSLT build)
2) a list command that allows for subset (via OPNQRYF dynamic QRYSLT
build)
3) both programs call the same function to build the QRYSLT string
4) I know I can do this via RPG, but don't have a clue as to how to
retain this within the existing CL wrapper

If you want to see an example of the program I am talking about in
action, point your favorite tn5250 client to 63.167.147.10 and sign on
with wyatterp (same for password) and once you get past the hello
message take option #5 (GLNOWRK).  Now this file only contains a couple
of entries, but if there were more, F19=subset would be allowed which
calls the same function the F14=List will get you to once you change the
first parameter from *ACTIVE to *SELECT. (I hope this made sense.  It
will once you're looking at the screens)

The record selection screen is a black box for building a QRYSLT string
that looks a lot like a RUNQRY RCDSLT panel.

So my question is, how can I create a black box that returns a SQL
instruction that will accomplish the same thing?  That is, a pluggable
box useable anywhere I want it without imbedding it within the program
itself?

Neither the work with nor the listing program know or care about the
fact that a subset is being processed.  Their function is to show what's
given to them.  What is given is none of their business. (BTW, there is
also a look up window function that uses the same black box)

My dunderhead part is how do I replace OPNQRYF in a CL wrapper with an
SQL call.  Or am I just attacking the problem from the wrong viewpoint?
Oh, I almost forgot, I have to keep this V3R2 compatible with whatever
comes with the base OS.

TIA