  • Subject: RE: Ready to scrap an AS/400
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 07:34:16 +1200

Could you give a bit more detail on what you mean by locks up ?

I have seen where Domino will lock up a system, specifically by failing,
and then attempting a re-start to recover. I think there is an option where
Domino has a parameter that allows it to try and recover X times; if you
find it, set this to 1 or 0 to minimize the impact.

I have had a problem at least once where the system was locked up; symptoms
were new connections not being accepted; console wouldn't display active
jobs, stuff running slowly; front panel indicated everything OK. The first
time I IPL'ed to recover, the second time I waited it out, and had the
domino person change the re-start and recover option once I figured out
what it was.

If your domino app is using any java at all, i can tell you from experience
with a 170 that the system will run like a dog. In these circumstances, it
wouldn't take much to have the system fall over and require a restart.

HTH
Evan Harris

<snip>
>The problem with Domino seems to always be the concurrent users.
>It seems to max at around 35, and lock up the HTTP server.
>They had sent us a patch that seemed to work for a little while.
>The problem with the AS/400 is that it locks up, and I have to
>IPL.  The VRS is a dos based system that is going to be replaced
>in the next few months, but it talk to the AS/400 via data queue.
>That hardly is a resource hog.  There are about 7 users on the
>system.
<end snip>