Chris:

I like this one:

[from the IBM web site http://www.as400.ibm.com/hsmcomp/storagenews.htm]

#2748 PCI RAID Disk Unit Controller is a higher performance PCI IOA, with a
faster onboard processor. It offers RAID-5 protection, and 26MB of fast
write cache. Optionally, it supports Integrated Hardware Compression or
Extended Adaptive Cache.

But you have to have stuff to support the PCI bus.  If you have the SPD bus,
then the 6533 is good.  Before making any change, is there a good reason?
Is the system overloaded?

The 2748 is the first AS/400 disk IOP with a fast write cache larger than 4
megabytes.  It also has a reasonably large read cache.  The 6502 and 6522
had a 2 mb cache, the 6512 and 6533 had a 4 mb cache.  In a write-intensive
RAID environment, I think that it is possible to overwhelm a 4 mb cache - I
have some data to support that point of view - but it takes a big machine
and a lot of adds, changes, and deletes.  I saw it on a 12-way Northstar but
only under certain circumstances.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
www.richardjacksonltd.com