  • Subject: RE: HTTP Server's jobs for CGI applications
  • From: Leslie Russell <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:24:58 GMT

This is also my last post but I want to make sure and redirect. Once
again leaving cookies laying around which can fall prey to unscrupulous
scripters is just poor programming. Expire the cookie. If you can control
their exit then just before they leave your site delete the cookie, then
recreate the cookie but write garbage to it. Also, don't make the mistake
of putting your users vital info (user name, password, address, CC#) in a
cookie.

Sure another program can get a list of the cookies on your machine using
java script but that can also be done via a server side perl script and
you can't disable CGI from your browser. And not all programmers follow
the simple rules for making cookies safe, but that doesn't mean cookies
are invading your privacy it means some programmers are lazy.

So if all programmers we contientious, and no cookies held sensative data
then there would still be the people who say; "But they are tracking me,
they know what sites I am visiting! And the government is reading my
thought waves!".
But have you ever gone out and looked at your server logs? You can
customize apache server logs to capture all kinds of information about
the hit and if you imbed an SSI in your home page then you can write a
script to collect even more info about the hit. So places like
doubleclick might be using java script to create nice little rolling
images but they are using other methods to collect your data.

A cookie is a good way to track your user around a site but it shouldn't
be used as a database, except for in shoping carts but NO VITAL INFO.
All the bad press cookies get come from lazy programming, the security
risk comes when lazy programmers store sensative info in a cookie. So
don't do that its as simple as that.

Why send each item in a customers shoping cart back to the server to be
processed? Validate the order in the browser and then, if the user
doesn't cancel the order, send the order back to the server.