  • Subject: Re: Accessing a file in memory
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <eMail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:58:41 -0700

Simon,

Thanks for your insight.  I admit I spend most of my life, now, above
the MI so I have a virtual viewpoint of the AS/400.  And I "might not"
hone in on the finer details of actual execution. (I'm not nearly as
good at multi-tasking, but I am gaining speed on loss of differentiating
reality from viewpoint) =:-}

IMHO, the AS/400 is so rich in capabilities, I was attempting to raise
more questions of points to consider than provide answers.  There are a
myriad of situations and points to consider that I don't think that
there can be a "one size fits all" kind of answer.

But from what you've contributed I'm reading between the lines that it
still boils down to beg the question: do you have enough memory to place
the files in memory?  By system method or user method.

But you've piqued my curiosity about the finer details about main
storage cache (which is the way I view cache) and system cache.  Which
place does SETOBJACC go to?

In reading the help text there is some reference to SETOBJACC using a
pool that contains no other jobs.  Does this mean that is sort of like a
virtual floppy drive?  Oops, I dated myself :-)

From what I've read it can be a user defined shared pool, so long as
nothing else uses it.  Sort of contridicts the definition of "shared".

Now, Simon, I'm not picking on you, but most of my clients are running
90+% CPU as is and if SETOBJACC, properly set up, will gain them
performance I'm all for it.  Where can I go to get information beyond
the "how-to" to the "why/why not"?

TIA