You have 48 GB of installed disk arms but the first two arms are a mirrored
pair.  In other words, each disk sector on drive 1A is duplicated on drive
1B.  You cannot store different data on drive 1B (the second drive in the
set) so it only exists to provide backup for drive 1A.  If you review your
configuration list, you may notice that you have drives 1 through 12 but two
drive 1s and no drive 2.  The physical drive that would have been drive 2
has become, in my naming, drive 1B.

You don't have a separate disk IOP, you are running everything off the MFIOP
(Multi-Function Input Output Processor).  In my opinion, you need to
purchase a disk IOP to support additional disk.  The MFIOP has small CPUs on
it to support different kinds of activities.  In your case, they run a
program to support mirroring for drives 1A and 1B, they run a program to
support RAID for drives 3 through 12, they run programs to support the
optical and the tape drive.  I imagine that that MFIOP is a fairly busy guy.
For performance reasons, I suggest that you consider adding a disk IOP to
support your next group of disk drives.  In other words, I suggest that you
do not add drives to existing the MFIOP workload.  I do not know, one way or
the other, if this IOP can support more disk arms.  I took a quick look at
the IBM site and I didn't find any information about the 9142 MFIOP, it is
too old.

I haven't seen any performance data for your system so I don't know where
you are on the "in trouble" scale.  You might be fine, not in trouble at
all.  Could be that you have a problem.  I can't tell.  Performance data is
the best way to determine if a particular candidate configuration will make
it better, make it worse, or has no real effect.

You should know that in a prior life, I owned the AS/400 sizing practice for
a large software company.  I designed, developed, and supported the process
that field people used to estimate system sizes.  During the five or six
years that I owned the sizing practice, my process estimated thousands of
AS/400s with a good success rate.  In the absence of detailed facts, I tend
to be VERY conservative.  If you want to discuss more details, please review
my web site and/or contact me off-line.

Richard Jackson
mailto:richardjackson@richardjackson.net
www.richardjacksonltd.com