  • Subject: Re: telnet exit program
  • From: John Earl <johnearl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 12:20:19 -0700

Tony,

A Telnet Exit program will be registerd to the Telnet server via the WRKREGINF
command.  If you do a WRKREGINF command and page down to the third page you'll
see this line:
QIBM_QTG_DEVINIT      INIT0100     *YES     Telnet Device Initialization
This is the Telnet Device initialization exit that will allow you to regulate
connections by IP address.  Take an option 8 to work with exit programs, and an
option 1 to add you program.

In order to write your own Telnet program, you can find the specs for telnet in
the OS/400 TCP/IP Configuration and Reference V4R4 ( SC41-5420-03).  Brad's book
may also contain an example.

If you are internet enabling your box an looking at protecting Telnet, you sould
also investigate protecting FTP, Client Access, ODBC, DRDA, and Remote Command
via exit programs.  These interfaces potentially pose a more serious threat to
your data if your principle method of securing data is through menu access.

If you want an example of what can be tracked through Exit Programs, download
our
free product (it really is free!  no timeout, etc) at www.400security.com .  The
free part will audit all of those exit points (and more), and will also give you
a nice tutorial on how exit programs work.  The chargeable feature will actually
secure access through all of those exit points.  We're hoping that you find that
it is easier to buy our product than learn how to secure 180+ servers and
functions yourself.

But you're welcome to just look.  :^)

jte

--
John Earl                               johnearl@400security.com
The PowerTech Group                     206-575-0711