  • Subject: Re: Notice: False Review on Amazon.com of e-RPG book
  • From: "Jack Mullins" <jmullins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 16:42:21 -0500

I use the reviews myself.  Actually I try to find out as much about a book
as possible before wasting money on it.  So far, I haven't been
disappointed.  I agree to some extent with your comments but not everyone on
the web is out to mislead the gullible or flame someone that they don't
like.  You take the Amazon reviews for instance, they post as many reviews
as possible to give the potential buyer a good idea about what to expect.  I
was reading reviews on a book that I was interested in not long ago and
everyone gave it excellent reviews except for one person and he gave it the
lowest rating.  The guys who gave the excellent ratings were professional
programmers but the guy giving the poor review had used the book as a text
book in a programming class at college!  It was obvious from his writing
that he was an idiot and not mature enough to understand what he was
reading.  I would be surprised if he made higher than a C in that class!  I
like being able to get the customer's point of view on a book, maybe some
are fraudulent reviews but I sincerely doubt that they all fit that
description.  And like I've said, so far the reviews have been right on the
money.  Besides, if you don't get a critic's or reader's point of view, then
all you have is marketing hype and you won't know if the book is actually
any good or not until you've read it.

JMHO,

73,

Jack Mullins