  • Subject: Re: Floating point implementation - was something else...
  • From: booth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2000 03:46:12 GMT

I finally understand the c-weenies tagline of "1+1=4 for sufficiently
large values of 1".  But the comment made earlier was about three
significant places.   Hundredths in your example is three significant
digits.

In my humble opinion, for most business reporting, accuracy is better
served with three significant digits than it is with  careful attention to
pennies.  Of course audit trails and balancing entries need to balance to
pennies, but for sales, marketing, trend-analysis, and most reporting
requirements anything beyond three significant digits is confusing and
clouds the relationships of the numbers for most managers.

Booth Martin
Booth@MartinVT.com
http://www.MartinVT.com

Don <dr2@cssas400.com>