  • Subject: AS/400 on the IBM Learning Services Satellite Network
  • From: "Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:02:31 -0400

IBM is doing something right! The AS/400 division has been doing a number of announcements and infomercials on the Learning Services satellite network, getting the word out to Business Partners and customers in all the divisions; Netfinity, RS/6000, S/390, AS/400. I think they have had more coverage lately then any of the other divisions. This is one way to get IBMers or Partners on other platforms "aware" of the AS/400. As more and more customers/partners join the network, they will see what a great machine it is. These presentations are not 2-5 minutes, but half hour to hour or more, on the PartnerWorld channel. Several classes I've taken that were generic, like Application Frameworks, made very good mention of the AS/400.

For those not familiar with the Learning Services Network or etNetwork, it is a satellite based, 10 channels, broadcasting 24x7x365. They take video from the classroom classes (like at Rochester), compress a 40 hour course into maybe 16-20 hours, cutting out the breaks and non-instructional time, and broadcast in sections, on a schedule. They cover all the divisions, with about 1/4 AS/400 specific, but also many classes in WebSphere, Net.Commerce, Java, Linux, and soon Domino. If you check the course listing, goto www.etnetworks.com and make the selection for Class Participants. The courses I've taken via satellite, or taped to view later would have cost me tens of thousands, and months of time, for a fraction of that cost. Granted, nothing beats a live class. Web or video training will NEVER be better than live classrooms. But this is still great!
Jim Franz    (and I do not sell the above service)