franz400@triad.rr.com writes:

>  the sad part is that many winners of this bidding
>  may not be established in the line of business,
>  and may not fully understand the business.
>  The e-bid companies managing the bidding certainly don't.
>  One size fits all !! How do you define "Customer Service" in a bid?
>
>  Jim Franz

My employer lost out in a bidding today to some outfit whose bid was below
the cost of the materials to make the product ... our bid includes cost of
materials, cost of assembly, budget for quality assurance ... our management
believes that some companies do not have a good enough ERP & internal
controls to know what their costs really are.  Obviously the customer of the
bidding war is the loser in this, since they will get either shoddy results
or a lost vendor & have to do it all over again.

We are in a business in which the final product is mission critical for human
lives.
Think planes falling from the sky because of shoddy ingredients, or medical
technology failing when there is no quick & easy backup for the human lives
it is protecting.  Traditional business has guaranteed quality ... anything
that does not measure up - we stand behind it & fix it at our cost, but this
also goes back to our vendors ... a customer returns a part that was
defective - we analyse & determine the problem was in component from one of
our vendors - which have to foot the bill for repair costs by us & by our
customer.

Where do you define that in the bidding process?

Do we now start manufacturing sub-standard products so we can compete in the
e-bid process?

No, our sales department needs to communicate to our customers who are at
risk of using e-bidding, what the negatives are.

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor