  • Subject: IBM accepts Encouragement?
  • From: "Stone, Brad V (TC)" <bvstone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 May 2000 14:56:23 -0500

In setting up extended log formats, I have run across PTF SF57878.

In this document, it explains that when using the extended format, a
whitespace character will be used to seperate fields.

But, when using the ExtendedLogFormat directive (defining user defined
extended logs) a tab will be used.  They say they will use a tab in this
case because "the W3C extended log format specification encourages the use
of tabs to separate fields."

Well, I went to the W3C site.  Here's what it says:
"Fields are separated by whitespace, the use of tab characters for this
purpose is encouraged."

If the document ID on this page is any indication of when it was printed up,
I'd say it was in 1996.  Extended format for IBM didn't come out until 2000
(maybe 1999).  WebTrends and other software wasn't really available before
1996 (I'm guessing, at least not as featured as it is now).

So, here's the plan.

1.  Buy a time machine.
3.  "Encourage" IBM to do all the things we want them to do.
4.  Come back to the present, and we'll still be on V3R2 and have all the
functionality of today, plus everything we really want.

C'mon IBM!  That is such a copout answer.  Either put in a directive that
lets you specify the whitespace character (tab, space, etc...) or get up to
speed with what the Analyzers use.

We finally get an extended format that we can customize, but we can't even
use the data it creates because of the stupid tab character.

So, I have since placed a call with WebTrends to see if they can change
their software to accept a tab.  Sure if W3C encourages it, it probably
should be done, but since when has anyone paid that close of attention to
something this minute.

Brad