  • Subject: Re: MIDRANGE-L Digest V3 #309
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 12:09:58 -0700

Actually, on the comment of showing someone else your code
from employer X to a prospective employer Y being unethical
and illegal.  I don't believe it's either, if done right.  I have never
done it myself, but I have studied the copyright laws quite
extensively for some code I was writing someone else on a
contractual basis (I wanted to make sure they got full legal
rights to the copyright and not me).

If you write a program for your employer, that program is, indeed,
copywritten to the company you worked for.  Now, what does it
mean that they have the copyright?  It means that no one else can
use that program without getting permission from the copyright
owner.  But, you are allowed, under US copyright laws, to use
*extracts* of copywritten material for various perposes.

There was a case law I read where a company up New York,
I believe it was, copied sections from a lot of different books and
made their own booklet out of it and sold it to students.  They were
then sued, and they won.  They were not in fringement of US copy-
right laws.  The main reason being that the sections they copied were
a small portion of the whole work.  The biggest being 20% of a book,
but was still considered an extract.

So, could I take a program I wrote for my company, copy a portion
out of it and show it to a prospective employer without being in fringement
of US copyright laws?  If it was a small enough portion, yes.  Could I
do it in clear conscious without it being considered unethical?  If it was
a small enough portion and did not give away any trade secrets, yes.

Now, understand this, I am not a Lawyer and all research I have done
has been for my own edification.  I just know what the law it self says,
and what case law has shown (case law is a significant trial that deals
with an issue for the first time, usually).

Regards,

Jim Langston

MacWheel99@aol.com on 05/18/2000 04:19:06 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet