  • Subject: RE: Database server jobs and SQL tuning
  • From: "Bale, Dan" <DBale@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 14:15:47 -0400

>>In IBM's CL class S 6020 introduction page 1-61 I was told not to qualify
libraries in CL ... it is asking for trouble ... I think it is here that I
learned the topic you ask if I have documented<<
I'm no expert on security and performance,  however, every reference I've
seen to "trouble" associated with qualifying libraries in CL is related to
hardcoding issues, problems if you rename libraries or if you have multiple
environments (test vs. production libraries).  As implied elsewhere, it
would seem logical to me that qualifying an object would improve
performance, since the system doesn't have to go searching for it.

As for the method used for securing objects on the AS/400, it makes sense
that some methods may incur performance penalties, as your notes seem to
imply.  This type of penalty should only affect the time spent allocating
the object though, wouldn't you think?  Was that in the context of the
original post in this thread?

- Dan Bale