  • Subject: RE: Maximum library size
  • From: "Marion, Bob" <Bob.Marion@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 May 2000 10:23:53 -0500

Leif,

The URLs for a list of limits are below.

ftp://www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/GA195486/limitred.pdf

http://as400service.ibm.com/supporthome.nsf/Document/10000051

After I sent my initial email I had several conversations with IBM
Rochester.  A single library can only have about 360,000 objects in it,
including QSYS(System Objects such as autl must stay in QSYS).  Many system
objects in QSYS are also in the Machine Context. The difference in type of
libraries are when a user library hits the limit you get a CPD error, when
QSYS(Machine Context) hits a limit the systems hangs and an IPL may be
required (4 hour IPL in my case).  Also certain system jobs would not start
after IPL since the library was full, such as logging history and MSF to
name a few. The solution was to change auth list implementation.   Even
though the limit document stays on my desk and I have read it many times I
had not looked at QSYS limits so if anyone has a lot of authorization list
and other system object you many want to check quantity of objects in Qsys.
Two quick methods to check limits are, DSPLIB QSYS or write a qry over the
QUSRSYS/QAEZDISK file, assuming the file is current.

I have hit limits several times over the past 5 years, does anyone else hit
limits?  examples of a few I have hit are: Maximum folders in an ASP 65536,
max docs in an ASP 349,000, Max object ownership by user profile -- this IBM
command has helped solve this issue -- PRTPRFINT SELECT(*PCTFULL)
PCTFULL(30).  I had a LF set to 4GB max and of course had to change it to
1TB max.

TIA

Bob Marion
Phone:  972/461-3186