  • Subject: Re: Font and print config from AS400 to hp 4000 series laser printer
  • From: Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2000 17:33:00 -0400

John Krieger wrote:

> Hi,
> Our purchasing department has been printing their purchase orders on
> multi-part forms on an IBM line printer.  We now need to print to an HP4050
> tn laser printer using single sheets.
> My basic problem is that I can't seem to find a decent resource for
> "how-to's" on HP laser printer configuration and setup.
> Currently the file description on the 400 is set to 10 characters per inch
> for the purchase orders.  That's how it comes out on the line printer.
> Sending it to the laser printer, however, results in 12 characters per inch.

Switching from a line printer to laser can be a pain and in some cases,
impossible. There are not any "real" manuals on how to go about this,
but you can try the red books Printing I-IV for pointers sooooo
here are some very basic things to try first:

1. Are you using HPT ?? If so this requires a custom object to get the
   font correct. This can be a trial & error process. Most lasers will
   default to 12 or 13 cpi in the wscst... COR also presents a problem.

   If not using HPT you might want to consider using it... Getting
correct
   font size to match line printer might be a bear.

2. Does the P.O. use a great deal of 1 line such as print position 79 -
85
   If so, the form will have to modified since the printer will often
not
   go beyond a certain print position without line wrap. You will have
   find out what the max line position is by trial and error.

3. You will need to modify CLP that does printing and have a PRTF
   that overides the CPI and possibly the LPI as well as the position
   of the form ie: rotation= 0 or rotation = 90. This will take some
   practice to get right. I would specify the entire specs on the form
   such as form length,lpi,cpi,ovf,etc,etc on the prtf overide.

4. What does the 400 "think" the HP looks like ???? 3812, 5219 , etc...
   This will also have a heavy bearing on results. What did the prior
   printer appear as ???

5. Just changing device description generally has little or no affect..

These are just starting points and each thing will have to be fine tuned
 for your particular printer.

The fact that the printer is TCP/IP connected will also affect your
output
and I can't help you with that part. Direct connected printers give me
enough problems....

It would be great to be able to just specify a new printer and off you
go
but that ain't the way it is in the real world.