  • Subject: RE: The FDF file on a transfer
  • From: Joel Fritz <JFritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 May 2000 10:05:27 -0700

The FDF should contain a data map.

You need to download the receiver file from the 400.  The file should have
defined fields that correspond to the columns of the spreadsheet.  You'll
get best results if the file has at least one record in it.  This will
create the FDF.  Then you should be able to upload your Excel file.

I've found .prn files to be a problem unless you format the columns with an
explicit length, which is hard to maintain and easy to forget.  If you save
the file as comma delimited, .csv, you may have better luck

If you're using CA Express, it has a utility to create files on the 400
based on a PC text file.  On the Tools menu, select "Create AS/400 Database
File."  It's kind of clunky, but it does work.  You may have to redefine the
data mapping that it will guess for you. Depending on how complex your
receiver file is, it may be easier to create DDS and do the download then
upload procedure.