Dr. Soltis more than admitted that at COMMON regarding Domino.  It's not an
AS/400 issue but one of the facts of life with porting.  He mentioned that Lotus
was aware that they did need to spend a little bit more time tuning Domino for
each platform.  Although not all of these performance differences are all that
great.  It sounds like Domino has some on the lower end.  We for example ported
code from a mainframe.  We use a product that helps the system emulate CICS
functions (this was before CICS/400 existed).  My service levels were to get an
average response time of less than one second, as well as have 75% of my
transactions finish in less than 1 second.  The ported applications could never
get below 1 second.  Spend some hours on them and make them native and they were
down to .3-.4 seconds.  No real impact though - the average user couldn't tell
and the cumulative effect on the system wasn't that noticeable.  However, we
still have people say the one problem with the mainframe port was how bad it was
on performance......

Anyway, I digress.  One point I wanted to really make is that there will be on
occasion those applications that perform better on the ported
platform..............

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Nathan M.   |
|        |          Andelin"     |
|        |          <nathanma@haa|
|        |          ga.com>      |
|        |                       |
|        |          04/28/00     |
|        |          09:04 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          MIDRANGE-L   |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com                      |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)             |
  |       Subject:     RE: Processor speed                     |
  >------------------------------------------------------------|

<snip>
Actually it was ported from Unix.
<end snip>

Point taken, although Lotus Notes originated on Intel.  Still, my thinking
is that ported applications often suffer a performance disadvantage.

For example, many ported applications rely heavily on sockets for
interprocess communication.  But data queue send and receive functions are
twice as fast as socket send and receive.  Ported applications often rely on
their own database.  But DB/400 has the advantage of being optimized at a
much lower level.  Ported applications often rely heavily on SQL.  But
direct record level access is often more efficient.

There are probably many such examples.  So, my thinking is that a faster
processor will only do so much.  The real problem is that the ported
application was not built to take advantage of native performance features
and techniques.