Well it depends on what you are trying to be relevant to I guess.  My point is
that all of these comparisons of processor speed are typically a waste of time.
Of course faster processors are always better.  And certain applications are
processor intensive (Domino, SCM, etc.).  However, I haven't seen an application
that an AS/400 couldn't handle.  Besides, what good is it to have a 700 Mhz
processor when the bus speed is 133 Mhz or the memory interface is not as
advanced as the AS/400.  My 200Mhz AS/400 is doing the work of at least 7 Intel
based processors running at speeds exceeding 500Mhz.....that's why we are hoping
to get rid of them.....

Anyway, I apologize for the soap box.  My point was that any direct comparison
of processor speeds 200Mhz vs. 700Mhz is not relevant for comparison purposes.
It's a waste of time.  Now when IBM comes out with new processors I am mildly
interested in the speed but what I am most interested in is the relative
performance numbers......I haven't made an upgrade decision yet based on
processor speeds.  CPW and like numbers has worked just fine for Domino, J.D.
Edwards ERP, and data warehousing that we do.  I'm sure there are instances
where it has not worked but I'd put my money on that number as opposed to
processor speed.......

Processor speed comparisons seem like an apples to apples comparison when we
know they aren't even close in most circumstances..........the PC world revolves
around these processor comparisons and I don't think they are always relevant
there either.  I run a 700Mhz machine and I'd bet my neighbors 533Mhz machine
runs just as well.....remember every processor waits at the same speed.........

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+--------------------------------->
|        |          Dave_Dahlstrom@triangle|
|        |          -group.com             |
|        |                                 |
|        |          04/25/00 02:57 AM      |
|        |          Please respond to      |
|        |          MIDRANGE-L             |
|        |                                 |
|--------+--------------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com                      |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)             |
  |       Subject:     Re: Processor speed                     |

The Processor Speed is relevant.  ERP applications, Lotus Domino and the like
are all very CPU intensive applications, they were created for PC type
architecture platforms and ported across to the AS/400,  and as such you require
a decent processor speed or multiple processors,  the AS/400 architecture helps
slightly with these applications,  such as reliability, scalability and Disk
access.  The 720-2063 is a 200Mhz with 4MB L2 cache,  the rumours are we will
see 400-500Mhz processors,  which are a god send for these types of applications
especially Domino.