> "Stone, Joel" wrote:
>
> Can this printer print 12 cpi or 13 cpi (characters per inch)  ?
>
> The DDS cpi only shows 10 cpi and 15 cpi options.  10 is too large,
> and 15 is too small (unreadable).

Since there is 15 different models, we would need to know which model
you are referring to but I took a chance and picked one model at random
and here are the results:

at 6 lines per inch (LPI) are shown as follows:

                        |CPI(1)|Upper Case | Descenders/ |  Plot
                        |(Base)|   Only    | Underlines  |  Mode
     -------------------|------|-----------|-------------|-------------
                        | 10   |           |             |
                        | 12   |           |             |
     High Speed         | 13.3 |           |             |
     (Draft) Mode       | 15   |  900 LPM  |  770 LPM    | 112 IPM (2)
                        | 16.7 |           |             |
                        | 17.1 |           |             |
                        | 18   |           |             |
                        | 20   |           |             |
     -------------------|------|-----------|-------------|-------------
                        | 10   |           |             |
                        | 12   |           |             |
                        | 13.3 |           |             |
     Data Processing    | 15   |  658 LPM  |  527 LPM    |  73 IPM (2)
     (DP) Mode          | 16.7 |           |             |
                        | 17.1 |           |             |
                        | 18   |           |             |
                        | 20   |           |             |
     -------------------|------|-----------|-------------|-------------
                        | 10   |           |             |
                        | 12   |           |             |
                        | 13.3 |           |             |
     Near Letter Quality| 15   |  350 LPM  |  270 LPM    | 36.5 IPM (2)
     (NLQ) Mode         | 16.7 |           |             |
                        | 17.1 |           |             |
                        | 18   |           |             |
     -------------------|------|-----------|-------------|-------------
     OCR-A / OCR-B  (3) | 10   |  108 LPM  |    ---      |     ---
             OCR-B  (4) | 10   |  100 LPM  |    ---      |     ---
     (1) CPI = Characters Per Inch
     (2) IPM = Inches Per Minute
     (3) 120H x 144V DPI (Dots Per Inch)
     (4) 180H x 144V DPI (Dots Per Inch)

You would not use DDS to modify this but change either the printer
setup or do an OVRPRTF. Also bear in mind that when you change the
CPI there are default fonts that will change the appearnace of the
print. I would do several tests to get the desired results........

For a complete breakdown go here:

http://www1.ibmlink.ibm.com/cgi-bin/master?request=salesmanual&parms=SMS&xh=YvMi0ua93*l%24b91USenGnN9332&xhi=usa.main%7Csalesmanual%5E&product=6400&search=&title=T&type=D