  • Subject: Re: How do I power up Model 500 correctly?
  • From: MacWheel99@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 13:38:46 EDT

The key that came with it unlocks the front panel where the control panel is
but you are not going to get very far without proper documentation.

If you purchased your Model 500 from a reputable IBM partner, you should have
received several cartons of manuals & CD ROM & other guidance materials some
time before the hardware actually arrived on site.

Did you in fact receive any documentation on your new hardware?

If not, did you call your hardware supplier to ask if you should have
received any documentation & if so, arrange for a trace on what happened to
it?

Our manuals are organized into binders labeled like
AS/400 FAQ
AS/400 BIBLE
CONFIG STUFF
These are not IBM terminology but how important the content is to us

There should be 2 copies of the key - you should put one in a safe place
where it won't get lost ... we use little white rings that we can label what
a key is for & there is one place in the building (locked) where we store the
master keys for everything in the building & one of them is stored there,
appropriately labeled.  The other is scotch taped to the CPU, whose front we
normally leave unlocked.

The plastic front does seem a little flimsy ... our CPU is in the same room
as me sitting in a chair on wheels that can lean back & I do need to scoot
around the office occasionally & I have crashed into it more than once - give
some thought to placement to avoid such accidents ... if someone bumps up
against the white button, the panel becomes QUESTION MARK which means ... do
you really want to do that (power the sucker off).  We keep our panel
unlocked but closed, which protects the buttons from accidental pushing but
keeps it easy to get at when we need to.

Did you unpack it yourself, or did some IBM partner unpack it?
Did it come with a UPS.

When you power it up for the first time ... it is real important to first
know if it came pre-loaded with OS/400 & other stuff that you ordered, or
rather was it supposed to, or if you are going to be installing what you
need.  Because it is the choice of pushing the white button to power the
sucker up, or spending a week immersed in the manuals (that you can't find)
learning the steps of installing the operating system, or figuring out how to
have it accept your SAVE 21 as a RESTORE 21 so as to keep your system value
settings, but some stuff will be different such as the IBM license key.

With your boxes of documentation there ought to be a little white card with
step by step instructions for changing the settings on the control panel
between normal mode & the modes associated with installing stuff.  We have
put ours inside a plastic sleeve & it is hanging from a hook above the CPU
out of the way until we need it & then it is right there.

>  From:    d2ba@xtra.co.nz (DAVID BULOG)

>  Hi all,
>  Im very excited  have finally recieved my Model 500 today and having no
hand
>  book wish to find out a safe procedure -how to start the machine .Im used
>  my trustly old E20.
>  Q1: On the front of the machine how  do you open the small panel under the
>  processor activity light--it seems tight and I need to know which way it
>  opens so I dont snap the hinges.Do I need to use the plastic key that came
>  with it first?(er-whats the way to use it)
>  I assume that is where the power switch and function data display will be
>  hidden
>  or am I way off track here and function data display  is hidden somewhere
>  else.
>
>  Q2:Once found how do you use the function data display to switch between
01B
>  normal and manual modes and powerswitch (example first time startup and
>  poweroff in case it doesnt IPL to signon) compared to the white Cisc boxs
>
>  these questions must seem stupid but I just want to find out the correct
way
>  to handle my Model 500 to avoid any damage.
>

>  cheers Dave

Al Macintyre  ©¿©
http://www.cen-elec.com MIS Manager Programmer & Computer Janitor

Y2K is not the end of my universe, but a re-boot of that old Chinese curse.
The road to success is always under construction.
Murphy's Mom brought wrong baby home from hospital so it should be Kelly's
Law.
When in doubt, read the manual, assuming you can find the right one.