  • Subject: Re: Advanced Printing confusion
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 09:19:07 -0500

Jim,

I don't know enough to get you 100% proper answer but here goes.  That value pak
is everything you need (well almost everything) to help create AFP documents.
The PSF services is to print it.  Whether you need the value pak will depend on
your needs.  We use a similar product from Optio Software.  However, we are not
using it to it's fullest because we are not doing that many forms.  Instead of
using Optio, AFP ValuePak, or some similar product a lot of people use their pc
to create the 'document' for AFP printing.  You can use any package (everyone
has their opinions) like MS Word, WordPerfect, Freelance, etc. to design the
form.  Then you print using the AFP print driver to file.  Upload the file to
the AS/400 and convert it using the commands CRTPAGSEG or CRTOVL.  Works like a
champ most of the time.  Personally, I would recommend looking at both
approaches.  The $1,400 doesn't seem like much for what you get.  I tend to like
to work with both sides (generic PC product, AFP specific product) so that I
feel like I can handel any request.....

You ask about Postscript and IPDS.  I think the answer lies in how your
application functions.  If it is centralized with volume I think IPDS/AFPDS is
the hands down winner.  If it is distributed (remote PC's, etc.) and low volume
the decision gets a little bit cloudy.  I have to let you know up front I am a
big believer in AFPDS.  We print high volumes and the majority of the equipment
is attached to the AS/400 (IBM AFP printers).  We would be dead if we went the
other way.....but that is due to our environment.  If your solution is AFPDS you
will have to buy the PSF/400 product so you can print.

I think you should:

1.) determine if AFPDS/IPDS is your desired solution
2.) determine how much flexibility and options do you want in your design

If your answer to both of those is yes then you would probably want to buy both.
I would look very carefully at what the AFP ValuPak provides.  I personally
haven't looked at them for a few years.

Sorry if I rambled.  If you want to take offline, feel free to email me
directly.  I am not sure if I follow 100% how many printers and what different
functions you have....

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+----------------------->
|        |          "Jim Franz"  |
|        |          <franz400@tri|
|        |          ad.rr.com>   |
|        |                       |
|        |          04/11/00     |
|        |          06:23 AM     |
|        |          Please       |
|        |          respond to   |
|        |          MIDRANGE-L   |
|        |                       |
|--------+----------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com                      |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)             |
  |       Subject:     Advanced Printing confusion             |
  >------------------------------------------------------------|

I am confused by IBM's offerings for printing on the 400. In a ValuPak for
$1,400 (V4.4 P05), I can get the Advanced Print Utility, AFP Toolbox, Page
Printer Format Aid, and AFP Font Collection. There is seperate product called
Print Services Facility for $2,000 for up to 20 images per minute to 6,000 for
46 ipm or more. Need to print 3 different forms, each duplex, with logos, other
images (like a box with text), barcode, lots of text at various fonts/sizes, OCR
text for US Post Office scanners, on legal forms, to local, ethernet connected
HP or Lexmark type lasers. Forms are pre-printed with color parts, so
registration has to be exact every time. Print 1-2,000 forms a day. We are
trying to get this application off a PC (uses AS/400 downloaded data) that does
the Windoze "illegal operation" at least once a day. The existing printer uses
Postscript. It needs to be replaced also. Do I need all of the IBM products
listed above, or is that overkill? Do I want IPDS printing or PostScript/PCL?
Sorry about length of post. Any help appreciated.
Jim Franz