  • Subject: Re: Long running backups to a 3590-B11
  • From: mcrump@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 08:06:11 -0500

I'm not sure I can address the change itself.  However, what IOP are you
interfacing with and what bus is it on?  I'm assuming 6501 and the main bus
(0?)....

Performance improvements may depend on what processor you have.  There are a
number of them that can't drive the 3590 as fast as it can go....this may be
your bottleneck.  Again this doesn't address your decrease but may help when
trying to get improvements.

I don't have any real world experiences to tell you about a performance jump if
you go from a 6501 to a 6534.  You should see some.  I have seen improvements
when moving the tape IOP off of bus 0.  On one system I saw a 30% improvement in
backup speed by moving the IOP to a another bus.  If you have a bus available
with a card slot your only cost is the down time.....

Sorry, I can't address your change but I thought I would throw out these
suggestions.  My personal opinion is that IBM has had a number of issues
revolving around the the 3590, IOP's, and backups.  Did the group PTF include
IOP ptf's?

Michael Crump
Ball-Foster Glass Container Co.

|--------+------------------------->
|        |          "Bull, Jeff"   |
|        |          <BullJ1@Midas-K|
|        |          apiti.com>     |
|        |                         |
|        |          04/06/00 04:58 |
|        |          AM             |
|        |          Please respond |
|        |          to MIDRANGE-L  |
|        |                         |
|--------+------------------------->
  >------------------------------------------------------------|
  |       To:     "'MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com'"                  |
  |       <MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com>                            |
  |       cc:     (bcc: Mike Crump/IS/Ball-Foster)             |
  |       Subject:     Long running backups to a 3590-B11      |
  >------------------------------------------------------------|

Has anyone else had a similar problem -

I have a system with 102GB of DASD, running at about 80% used.  It has
regularly taken between 11 to 13 hours to do a full system backup each
weekend (SAVSYS + NONSYS + SAVDLO + SAV (ifs)).  All of a sudden, the
backups started taking 15/16 hours.  I have recently upgraded to v4r3 (from
v4r1), initiallly the backups jumped to 28 hours!!  IBM recommended we apply
additional PTFs, a series of group-ptf packages, this cut the 28 to 18 but
this is still very painful to system availablility, as you can imagine.

I am liaising with IBM and with the CE; I've stopped saving access paths,
I'm getting staff to delete old/redundant data, what more can I do?  Has
anyone had similar experiences or have some advice ?

Kind regards,
Jeff Bull.
Senior AS/400 Support Consultant (AS/400)
Midas Kapiti International Ltd

Tel: 44 (0) 175 370 8224
Fax: 44 (0) 175 357 0233
Email:    Jeff.Bull@Midas-Kapiti.Com  << == Replies to
The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail are the senders own and do
not necessarily represent the views and opinions of Misys Plc.

This email message is intended for the named recipient only.  It may be
privileged and/or confidential.  If you are not the intended named recipient
of this email then you should not copy it or use it for any purpose, nor
disclose its contents to any other person.  You should contact Midas-Kapiti
International as shown below so that we can take appropriate action at no
cost to yourself.

Midas-Kapiti International Ltd, Key West, 53-61 Windsor Road, Slough,
Berkshire, SL1 2DW, England
Email: Postmaster@midas-kapiti.com Tel: (44) 1753 573244 Fax: (44) 1753
570233
Midas-Kapiti International Ltd is registered in England and Wales under
company no. 971479