  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: The "greying of Common" Is it still true?
  • From: "Nelson C. Smith" <ncsmith@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 21:08:08 -0400

It sounds to me, Eric, that you are worth a great deal more to your company
than your company is to you.   It has always been true in this industry that
the only way to get what you are worth is to move around fairly often.  They
won't pay you (or treat you like the professional you are), but they will be
happy to pay the two people it takes to replace you.  It is very stupid
management practice, but it is also most common.  That said, it is still
entirely up to you to further your own education.  You cannot depend on any
employer to even care.

Programmer's who are willing to put in a little extra effort educating
themselves, on their own (and you sound like you are one), are worth three
or four of those that populate most shops who won't even read a tech mag,
much less keep up with newsgroups like this.  So, when you do decide to do
something about your employment, it is entirely reasonable to also negotiate
on such things as COMMON and other educational seminars.  On my last move, I
even negotiated reimbursement on tech mag. subscriptions.  Actually, I think
managers kinda like having such things to negotiate over because they have
more flexibility there than they do on salaries.