  • Subject: jetdirect and IBM 2380/2381 printers
  • From: "Lou Schmaus" <lschmaus@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 21:34:46 -0500

I have a problem at one of our clients who is moving into a new building. They are trying to consolidate all their printing into one area, as there are 4 or 5 people spread throughout the office that currently print to the same 3-part invoice form.

All printers(IBM 2380 and 2381's) were previously attached to PC's running CA Express, with each printer having it's own session on the PC. They want to connect 3 of the printers(2 for multi-part forms and 1 for greenbar) to a Jetdirect 500, which has 3 parallel ports.

The problem is, I can't get the /400 to print to anywhere other than Port 1 on the Jetdirect. I've tried CRTDEVPRT, specifying ports 9100, 9101, and 9102 for ports, but this doesn't work because the 2380/2381 printers don't 'speak' PCL/PJL. I tried creating remote OUTQ's, and specifying 'RAW 1' thru 'RAW 3' for the Queue name, but everything prints to the printer on the 1st port of the Jetdirect. Same results using the queue names from the config listing from the jetdirect itself.

I've read the Redbooks, the Jetdirect docs, and the online books about TCP/IP printing. Am I missing something obvious?

Oh, by the way, I CAN get all the printers to work if I create 3 Express printer sessions from a PC that has the Jetdirect software loaded on it, so I know the Jetdirect itself works. But I can't justify tying up a PC just to control the printer sessions.

Lou Schmaus
CCA, Inc.
Jackson Twp., NJ 08527