  • Subject: ImagePlus VisualInfo Scanning on AS/400
  • From: "Marion, Bob" <Bob.Marion@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 08:09:32 -0600

Greetings:

I support a customers that utilizes IBMs Content Manager Product;  Image
Plus Visual Info on an AS/400.  The reliability, scalability, ease of use,
etc. of the backend server (AS/400) and the client retrieving interface is
excellent, however the product comes with a functionally deprived low end
scanning module and I am researching how to enhance this module.  For high
volume scanning we implemented Input Accels capture software which captures,
image enhances, etc and then exports the documents to the AS/400 in batches
(excellent product for high volume scanning or for just a few scanners).
The issue is we are implementing low volume disturbed scanning (500+ med-low
scanners) and the Input Accel or Kofax products are cost prohibitive in this
configuration. *** So this gets me to the first question of how to enhance
IBMs document capture engine to recognize such things as patch codes as to
separate documents, or allow for passing of fields from a window screen,
etc??  Second question:  On the AS/400 we have researched how to split up a
multi page document through APIs, etc, but have not found a solution, the
documents are stored in STMF format in the IFS, anyone have a suggestion on
how to manipulate this type of data?   The images are in format TIFF6 and
CCITT Group 4 compressed.

Bob Marion
perotsystems
Phone:  972/461-3186