Pete,

I just wanted to take a second to thank you for this note - particularly the
message.

I read so many negative replies on this list:  bashing companies; bashing
people; bashing ideas.  It was nice to read a response that says basically
"this is the situation and we need to deal with it as best we can."

We are in an ever-changing field and we certainly need to learn to adjust to
the changes - not sit around and complain all day.

I am sending you this note personally because I do not wish to be the recipient
of the next round of flames from the list.

Thanks,

Todd Kidwell (Netstar)
AS/400 System Administrator

At 22:23 03/24/2000 , Keith Carpenter wrote:
>Too bad there isn't a newer (win32) version of BookManager Reader.
>But I find that even the 16bit one is better than the web version.
>
>As others have pointed out, not all computers are connected to the web.
>It's usually when you are having problems (like no network connection)
>that you need the books the most.

I've had no problem with the html books. Searches have been fast and easy.
Of course most of my work is limited to just a few books, but Its like
anything else. You need to work with it a bit.

I usually use the category bookshelves page to get to the area I need. Last
week I needed the parameter list for QMHSNDPM. I opened the "System
Programming Support" page. I didn't see anything promising on the list of
commonly used books, so I scrolled to the bottom of the page and clicked on
the "Search V4R2 System Programming Support Bookshelf " link (we're still
supporting V4R2). I tried searching for "message" and got no hits, so I
scrolled down the list of manuals and found "OS/400 Message Handling APIs
V4R2", opened it and easily found what I needed. Just out of curiosity, I
went back to the search and tried looking for "Message". It found the
manual right away, so the search is case sensitive (BAD IBM, BAD). It also
only looks at titles, names and doc numbers (UNIMPRESSIVE), so you need to
use title case, and doesn't use a synonym list. (It didn't find
"Messaging", not that I really expected it to given the other limitation.)
Once you develop the work-around strategies to replace the ones you used
with book manager, you can get on with your life. I remember similar
grousing a few years back when paper manuals were replaced with CDs. We
did, however, lose our web connection for a few hours last week. I carry a
CD in my briefcase.

I agree that there are many smaller clients that don't have a full time
internet connection, and who pay their bills regularly with real coin of
the realm. Back in the bad old days, I used to load a few of the most
common manuals on my laptop for just those occasions (laptop CD readers
were hard to come by then). You can still do that. There are links on the
list pages that allow you to download the manuals in html or pdf format.
You can even print the pdf books if you like. It's not a perfect solution,
but it works pretty well. Times change and so do the tools we use. The
changes don't always make life easier for us either. This one makes IBM
more efficient. We can either adapt or sit back and fossilize. Personally,
I'm no ready to become a dinosaur yet.
Pete Hall
pbhall@execpc.com
http://www.execpc.com/~pbhall