  • Subject: re: GUI for Performance Tools/400
  • From: "Lemen, George (Contractor)" <george.lemen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:17:34 -0800

From: owner-midrange-l@midrange.com [mailto:owner-midrange-l@midrange.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 9:44 AM
To: MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com
Subject: GUI for Performance Tools

Dan --
There is a performance GUI in Ops Nav (V4R4). Monitoring/data collection is
discontinued when the link to your PC goes down.

A VERY long time ago, there was a GDDM/400 interface for charts built into
the AS/400 performance tools. This still works to IPDS printers that
understand the IPDS graphics tower (can you spell Twinax IPDS devices). I
get printed charts on a routine basis today using this support (on V4R4).
GDDM/400 also works to an IBM 5292-2 interface (which also supported a
plotter). The support for this was in the DOS (only) part of PC Support --
which eventually became the Client Access Family. The setup for 5292-2
emulation in the DOS environment took a LOT of settings to make it work
(several special drivers in the CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. A long time ago
I figured out how to run the DOS client (not DOS extended) under OS/2 so I
could still get the charts presented under a relatively modern operating
system.
IBM pulled support for these clients (I think in V4R3). The 5292-2 emulation
was NOT brought over to WINDOWS or the OS/2 native clients (nor am I aware
of any OEM 5250 emulation that tackled the 5292-2). I was told point blank
by one of the original PC Support developers at COMMON in 1995 that GDDM and
the 5292-2 emulation would be killed over time and that the 5292-2 emulation
would NEVER be replicated in the WINDOWS environment.

IMHO the Bottom Line is: Look in the Performance Tools books -- there are a
number of database files documented with the performance data. Download to
your favorite PC spreadsheet and RYO charts if you need charts based on data
collected over a period of time.
.
********************* (original note for reference) **************
I have a client taking performance measurements, and I would like to
interface the results to a PC for colored graphics.  I thought I
remembered a PC interface to BEST/1, but am drawing a blank.

Is there a specific product for presentation on a PC, or should I download
to a spreadsheet and do it manually?

Dan Rasch