  • Subject: Re: Connecting to the net via DSL
  • From: "Jeffrey Silberberg" <jsilberberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:24:20 -0500

Okay,

        I want to add a few thoughts. I have ADSL from BellSouth with the
BellSouth.Net connection and every time I call them (Way to often in my
opinion) the first thing they want me to do is power off my PC and restart
it.  If you bridge to the AS/400 instead of a PC you may have some issues
with the (non)technical support help desk people.  Also, most ISP's are
looking for a form of PPP, called PPPoE or PPPoA to be running on your
system.  BS expects to install this on your PC as it is not Microsoft
standard, find out what your provider expectsI as I doubt their drivers will
run under OS/400 even in a PASE/400 environment.

        I partly solved the problems by using a unit from Efficient Networks
call a SpeedStream 5660. This is a router that handles the ADSL PPPoA link
back to BS, and NATP for  my internal connections.  The unit sits near the
phone demark, and then connects as a point on my Ethernet router.
(www.efficient.com) the GA distributor has a $49.00 instant rebate running
right now.  There are also some other units from other manufacturers but you
need to be sure that your ADSL provider will support what you purchase.

        Also, if you are going to be DHCP served with a dynamic address
check out www.dyndns.org this is a very neat service that will make using a
single Dynamic address much easier.

        Good Luck,  based on my BellSouth experience you will need it !!!!
:-)

Jeffrey M. Silberberg
CompuDesigns, Inc.
(770) 399-9464