  • Subject: Re: How to connect AS/400 to phone line using IBM modem 7852-400
  • From: Jerome Draper <jdraper@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 15:18:17 -0800

At 08:52 AM 3/22/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>Solutions:
>1)  Get an SDLC card for your PC and use an existing comm
>    port on the 400.  This solution is as popular as a poop
>    in the punchbowl.

and costly.

>2)  Get an ASCII workstation controller and use any PC type
>    modem.  This is becoming obsolete by IBM.

Being an SPD buss card it's not compatible with the newer PCI buss systems
today so, yes, obsolete.

>3)  Buy a third party product from Perle or someone that does what 2 does.

Yeah, but limited, expensive, and yesteryear's technology.

>4)  Buy a used 8235 from IBM.  Or get one from Shiva - who
>    made the 8235 for IBM.   This will allow you to attach
>    to your remote lan and do anything as if you were local
>    on the lan:  Client Access, NT explorer, Notes, whatever.

Or, us the RAS facility on an NT server, MS DUN on the client, and your
5250 emulator of choice (ie:  NetWolf, CA/400, etc.)

>5)  Configure a Citrix server and dial in to that beast.  You'll
>    get better response time than option 4 and will have the
>    same flexibility.
>6)  I am sure there is some sort of Internet solution, but that
>    depends on what you are trying to do.

7.  Configure your AS400 comm port for point-to-point dialup using any
async modem or the 7852-400 you have in async mode.  Then us MS DUN on the
client and your 5250 emulator of choice (ie:  NetWolf, CA/400, etc.).  This
is a very good PTP dialup, TCP/IP solution

Jerry

>I used to use the ASCII workstation for years.  That 80286 was
>great for dialing in and responding to messages when paged in
>the middle of the night.  I am still using a 8235 and am quite
>happy with it, except the response time.  This is how I browse
>the Internet from home for free.  Some people here have upgraded
>from the 8235 to the Citrix and are quite ecstatic.  And these
>were people we about had to peel their cold dead fingers to give
>up their 3180 terminal.  Also the PC hack used a local connection
>for Citrix on a 386 for awhile because it was faster than his
>souped up P2 pc.
>

>JDETEMP1@legacyptr.com on 03/21/2000 09:15:40 PM
>Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
>To:    MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet
>cc:
>Fax to:
>Subject:       How to connect AS/400 to phone line using IBM modem 7852-400
>
>Hello falks, Please help me with connecting an AS400 720 with V4R4 to a
phone line using IBM modem 7852-400. Once the connection is done, I should
be able to dial into the AS/400 using Client Access from a PC connected to
the phone.

>What communication configuration needed on AS/400?
>What type of line/controller to create on AS/400?
>And other information related to this.
>
>Thanks
>Nimal

Jerry Draper, Trilobyte Software Systems, since 1976
Specializing in connecting PC's, Windows, MAC's, and LAN's to the AS/400
Representing Synapse, Apple, UDS, Nlynx, Perle, Lucent, etc.
(415) 457-3431; (415) 258-1658fax; jdraper@wco.com