  • Subject: Re: How to connect AS/400 to phone line using IBM modem 7852-400
  • From: Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 8:52:44 -0500

Solutions:
1)  Get an SDLC card for your PC and use an existing comm
    port on the 400.  This solution is as popular as a poop
    in the punchbowl.
2)  Get an ASCII workstation controller and use any PC type
    modem.  This is becoming obsolete by IBM.
3)  Buy a third party product from Perle or someone that does what 2 does.
4)  Buy a used 8235 from IBM.  Or get one from Shiva - who
    made the 8235 for IBM.   This will allow you to attach
    to your remote lan and do anything as if you were local
    on the lan:  Client Access, NT explorer, Notes, whatever.
5)  Configure a Citrix server and dial in to that beast.  You'll
    get better response time than option 4 and will have the
    same flexibility.
6)  I am sure there is some sort of Internet solution, but that
    depends on what you are trying to do.

I used to use the ASCII workstation for years.  That 80286 was
great for dialing in and responding to messages when paged in
the middle of the night.  I am still using a 8235 and am quite
happy with it, except the response time.  This is how I browse
the Internet from home for free.  Some people here have upgraded
from the 8235 to the Citrix and are quite ecstatic.  And these
were people we about had to peel their cold dead fingers to give
up their 3180 terminal.  Also the PC hack used a local connection
for Citrix on a 386 for awhile because it was faster than his
souped up P2 pc.

JDETEMP1@legacyptr.com on 03/21/2000 09:15:40 PM
Please respond to MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com@Internet