  • Subject: Re: as400 as exchange server
  • From: "L. S. Russell" <leslier@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 12:45:55 -0600

Again, I have to disagree with you. If you need an object then either
you or some other than you with the same requirements will write one.
You don't have to depend on rumor, or expensive manuals to write a
wrapper because you have the source. If that is not a cure all then I
don't know what is?

You are comparing apples to oranges, sendmail runs on *NIX servers while
Exchange runs on Win** servers. But if you were authoring on a platform
where C is the base language for developers then you would find an
abundance of api's for sendmail or qpopper. Once Delphi is ported to
linux later this year you can be dang sure someone will write just such
a wrapper for you. If that is what you want (and I am sure it is).

The truth is Don that open source is the cure, and the proof lies in the
fact that you and I are airing our views in this manner. Some estimates
say that well over 70% of the servers attached to the Internet today are
running open source software, sendmail, qpopper, apache .... blah blah
blah.

Now I can see where you are coming from when you say you want to access
an SMTP server at the api level and not worry about the servers inner
workings. but again you are trying to say that there is no such level
available for sendmail or qpopper when there is. The thing is, you are
not using either of these on your server and your server OS is not a
flavor of *nix.

--
L. S. Russell Programmer/Analyst
Datrek Professional Bags, Inc.